Monday, February 23, 2009

I am so much smarter than this

What is it that gets me
Stuck in the same place
Over, and over again
How many times have I ended up
In love
And just considered the 
'best friend'
Maybe it's easier to hold on
To hope, than to face
Abject rejection...
Maybe I enjoy being the martyr
And I end up being
The best 
Best friend
With all my love and devotion

My heart is doomed
My love, ever unheeded
Unrelenting
Unrequited

Others make the letting go
Seem so easy
I, on the other hand
Convince myself
I could never love another

These country songs stirred something
I haven't felt in years
You play your guitar, we sing
Together
We create such pretty songs
The timing in our music
Is always on
But the timing in our lives
Is another thing altogether

You remind me of a million
Poems I've written long ago
How could 2 years' defenses 
Be shattered in one drunken night?

Hands held, sweet words
Warmth and closeness
All night love birds
And you tell your cousin
I'm just a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment